Czech Republic ????????
Time: 90 minutes + 2 1/2 hours rise time | Servings: 12 pieces | Rating: ★★★★☆
For the Dough
- ⅔ cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the Fillings
- 6 prunes
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 6 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- splash of heavy cream
- For the prune filling, combine 6 prunes in a small saucepan with 1 tablespoon honey and enough water to barely cover the prunes. Boil, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, mashing them with a fork as they cook. They’re done when most of the water has evaporated, and it’s thicker than jam. Set aside to cool.
- For the cream cheese filling, stir together 3 ounces of room temperature cream cheese with 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar until smooth. Set aside.
- Next, make the kolaches. Warm ⅔ cup of 2% milk in a microwave-safe bowl for about 30 seconds until lukewarm. Once the milk is at precisely 110°F, add 2 teaspoons active dry yeast, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and 2/3 cup of all-purpose flour. Mix together well and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 15 minutes.
- In another bowl, add 6 tablespoons of melted butter. Let cool briefly before stirring in 2 egg yolks. Add the egg and butter mixture to the yeast mixture and mix well. Add the remaining 1 ⅓ cups of all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon of salt, and mix very well.
- Next, lightly flour a dry board and your hands and knead the dough for 10 minutes, until the dough is soft, supple, and not sticky at all.
- Grease a bowl with cooking spray and add the dough. Cover and let it rise in a warm place until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- Next, divide the dough into 12 equal portions, and roll each dough ball into a ball.
- Line a 9″ pie plate with parchment paper, and arrange the dough balls in it. Let the dough rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Once the dough balls have doubled in size, use your fingers to make indentations for the fillings.
- Next, stir together 1 egg and a splash of heavy cream to use as the egg wash for the rolls.
- Divide the jam fillings between the kolaches, and then brush with the egg wash gently, trying not to get egg wash on the fillings.
- Bake the kolaches for 18-21 minutes, until nicely golden brown. Use a toothpick inserted into the center kolache to ensure the rolls are done. Let cool slightly, tear apart to serve, and enjoy!